The arms, crest and motto were granted by Lord Lyon to John Alexander, merchant of Glasgow in 1861 (Lyon Register vi, 42 3 Jan 1861). John Alexander of Menstrie Bank, Dowanhill Gardens, Glasgow, was a partner in the firm of Edward Alexander & Sons and appears in the Glasgow Directories as such until 1886. He is mentioned as a book collector in Hazlitt's Roll of honour in 1908 as John Alexander of Menstriebank. This is probably the `musicologist' who edited an edition of Joseph Ritson's Scotish [sic] songs. 2 vols. Glasgow, Hugh Hopkins, 1869.