Christ's College Cambridge

Person Key: 
CHR004
Corporate Owner: 
Christ's College Cambridge
Family Name: 
Biography: 

The Lady Margaret Beaufort, Countess of Richmond and Derby (1449 1509) founded Christ's College in 1505. The Beauforts were descended from John of Gaunt, Duke of Lancaster and Catherine Swynford, who later became his third wife, whereupon her children were legitimized. Lady Margaret was the granddaughter of the eldest son, John Beaufort, Earl of Somerset. In the achievement over the gateway of the college the arms of the foundress are accompanied by the badges of the rose and the portcullis. The college has always used her arms and badges, though no grant has ever been made.

Biographical Sources: 
The Cambridge Armorial compiled by members of the Cambridge University Heraldic and Genealogical Society. London, 1985.