Athenæum N/A

Located in a neoclassical building, designed by Decimus Burton, at 107 Pall Mall, London, at the corner of Waterloo Place, the Athenæum Club was founded in 1824 by John Wilson Croker, Sir Thomas Lawrence and others. Most members were men of inherited wealth and status, but, under Rule II, the club additionally admitted men "... of distinguished eminence in Science, Literature, or the Arts, or for Public Service". The admission of men who had gained their social position through intellectual influence and achievement rather than by title or money gave the club an unusual diversity of membership. In 2002 women were allowed to become members.

Stamp(s) Stamp Information
Athenæum (Stamp 1) Device: The head of Athena
Heraldic Charges: Athena