Babington, Gervase, Bishop of Worcester (1550 -1610)
Gervase Babington was the son of Bernard Babington of Puxley in Derbyshire, and Ursula, daughter of Sir Gervase Clifton. His grandfather was Thomas Babington of Dethick and Kingston. He was educated at Trinity College Cambridge, where he matriculated as a sizar in Michaelmas 1567, took his B.A 1572, became a Fellow in 1574, incorporated M.A. at Oxford in 1578, and was University Preacher at Cambridge in 1580. He was appointed Chaplain to Henry, Earl of Pembroke, became Tutor to William Earl of Pembroke, and his brother, Philip, Earl of Montgomery, and assisted the Countess, Mary Sidney, in her translation of the Psalms and through their Earl's influence was made a Prebend of Hereford in 1588, Treasurer of Llandaff in 1590, and Bishop of Llandaff in 1591. He was translated to Exeter in 1595, and to Worcester in 1597. A tireless scholar and an assiduous preacher, he published a number of works on theology and left his library to Worcester Cathedral.