Bateman, John (1782 -1858)
John Bateman, of Knypersley Hall, Staffordshire and Tolson Hall Westmorland, was the elder son of James Bateman Esq, of Tolson Hall, Westmorland, and Margaret, daughter of Edward Nicholson, of Kendal. He succeeded his father in 1824, and was Deputy Lieutenant for Staffordshire, and High Sheriff in 1830. He married, 30 May 1810, Elizabeth, second daughter of George Holt of Redivals in Lancashire. He bought many of the books which had belonged to the Emperor Napoleon at St Helena, and had them rebound by Charles Lewis (Clements). John’s father, James, erected the so-called Elba monument in the grounds of Tolson Hall.