Brander, Gustavus (1720 -1787)
Gustavus Brander, of a Swedish noble family, was born in London. He later became a Director of the Bank of England. On inheriting the fortune of his uncle, Mr Spicker, he gave his time to the collection of curiosities. He was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society in 1754, and a Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries. Retiring to Hampshire, he bought the site of the old Priory of Christchurch, built a house on the spot, and in 1780 married the widow of Vice Admiral John Lloyd, Elizabeth daughter of Mr Gulston of Widdial in Hertfordshire. He gave a collection of fossils found in the cliffs of Christchurch to the Repository of the Royal Society from where they were passed on to the British Museum in 1781. His library was sold at auction by Leigh & Sotheby of London 8 February 1790.