Bruce, William, Sir, 1st Baronet, of Balcaskie N/A
Sir William Bruce of Kinross, the architect, was the second son of Robert Bruce, of Blairhall, and Catherine, daughter of Sir John Preston, of Valleyfield. He was Clerk of the Bills 1660, acquired the estate of Balcaskie, and was created a Baronet 21 October 1668, by Charles II to whom he was deeply attached. He was a Member of the Scottish Parliament for the County of Fife 1669 1674 and for Kinross 1681 1682 and 1685 1686. In 1671 as his Majesty's Surveyor, he was employed as Royal Master of Works for Scotland and planned and supervised the restoration of the Palace at Holyrood 1670 1679. He married firstly, Mary, daughter of Sir James Halket, Baronet of Pitfirrane, and secondly Magdalene Scott. His only son John, died a few weeks after his father whereupon the baronetcy became extinct.