Burrell, William, Sir, 2nd Baronet (1732 -1796)
Sir William Burrell, of West Grinstead Park, Sussex, and of Valentine House, Essex, was the second son of Peter Burrell, of Langley Park, Beckenham in Kent, and Amy, daughter of Hugh Raymond of Saling Hall, Essex. He was educated at St John's College, Cambridge, where he took his LL.B. in 1775, and his LL.D. in 1760. He became a Fellow of the College of Advocates in London, practicing mainly in the Admiralty Court, and Chancellor of Worcester 1764, and afterwards of Rochester. He was elected Member of Parliament for Haslemere 1768 1774, and was a Commissioner of Excise 1771 1787. He married, 13 April 1773, Sophia, daughter of Sir Charles Raymond 1st Baronet, of Valentine House, Essex. In 1788 he succeeded by special remainder to his father in law's baronetcy. A Fellow of the Royal Society, and of the Society of Antiquaries, Sir William was especially interested in the antiquities of Sussex, his collection of manuscripts, prints and drawings on which he bequeathed to the British Museum. His town library was sold at the Turf Gallery, Hanover Square 2 May 1796, immediately after his death, the remainder of his books were destroyed by fire about 1900.