Caley, John (1763 -1834)
John Caley was the eldest son of John Caley, a grocer in Bishopsgate Street in London. He early received the patronage of Mr Astle who obtained him employment in the Record Office in the Tower. He was Keeper of the Records in the Augmentation Office in 1787, Keeper of the Records in the Ancient Treasury at Westminster in 1818, and Secretary to the Record Commission 1801 31. He was elected a Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries, hence the S.A.S. His `library' was sold by R. H. Evans 22 July 1834, and `a valuable collection of scarce books part of the library of John Caley' by Sotheby, Wilkinson & Hodge 22 July 1866.