Campbell , Frederick, Lord Campbell (1729 -1816)

Lord Frederick Campbell, of Ardencaple in Dunbartonshire, and Coombe Bank in Kent, was the third, but second surviving, son of John, 4th Duke of Argyll and Mary, daughter of John, 2nd Lord Bellenden. Educated at Westminster School, and Christ Church, Oxford, he was admitted to the Middle Temple 19 January 1750 and called to the bar 24 January 1754. Elected Member of Parliament for Glasgow from 1761 to 1780, and for Argyll from 1780 to 1799, he was made Lord Clerk Register for Scotland in 1768, and confirmed in that office for life in 1771. In 1774 he laid the foundation stone of Register House and was instrumental in obtaining a proper establishment for keeping the Scottish records. He married, 28 March 1769, Mary, daughter of Amos Meredith, and widow of Lawrence, 4th Earl Ferrers, and they had two daughters. His wife unfortunately perished in a fire at her seat at Coombe Bank in Kent 25 July 1807.

Seat / Residence(s): Coombe Bank, Kent
Stamp(s) Stamp Information
Campbell , Frederick, Lord Campbell (1729 - 1816) (Stamp 1) Motto: Ne obliviscaris
Crest: A boar's head erased
Heraldic Charges: boar's head