Clark, George Thomas (1809 -1898)
George Thomas Clark, of Tal y Garn in Glamorganshire, was the eldest son of the Reverend George Clark, Chaplain to the Royal Military Asylum, Chelsea, and Clara, only surviving daughter of Thomas Dicey, of Claybrook Hall in Leicestershire. Educated at Charterhouse 1819 1825, he became a civil engineer and was employed by Brunel on the construction of the Great Western Railway, and among other things was responsible for the building of Paddington Station. He went to India where he was in charge of the sewerage of Bombay and planned the first Indian railway, and on his return he took charge of the iron works at Dowlais. He married, 3 April 1850, Ann Price, second daughter of Henry Lewis of Greenmeadow in Glamorganshire. He was a Justice of the Peace and Deputy Lieutenant of Glamorganshire, and High Sheriff of Glamorganshire in 1868, and Colonel of the Taff Battalion of the Glamorgan Rifle Volunteers. Elected a Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries 7 June 1866, military archaeology was his favourite leisure pursuit, and he published The history and description of the Great Western Railway (London, 1846), Medieval military architecture in England. 2 vols. (London, 1884); and Cartæ et alia munimenta quæ ad dominium de Glamorgan pertinent. 4 vols. (London, 1885 1893). Part of his library was sold by his grandson in 1923.