Cock, Alfred (1849 -1898)
Alfred Cock was the fourth, but second surviving son of James Cock of Shrewsbury, who owned a large tannery. Educated at Shrewsbury School and University College, London in 1866, he entered the Middle Temple 1867, was called to the bar 1871, and was made a Queen's Counsel in 1866. He was elected a Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries, was a prominent member of the Positivist Society and one of the finest judges in England of old silver. He married, in 1877, Eva Laura Bertha, only child of Richard Friederich Liebreich, M.D. Mr Cock's library was sold by Sotheby, Wilkinson & Hodge 11 July 1898, and a portion of his law library, with the fencing library of Professor Bertrand 17 March 1899.