Cokayne, William, Sir -1626)
Sir William Cokayne was the second son of William Cokayne, of Baddesley Ensor, in Warwickshire, Merchant of London, and Elizabeth, daughter of Roger Medcalfe of Meridan, in Warwickshire. Apprenticed to his father at Christmas 1582, he was made free of the Skinner's Company by patrimony 28 March 1590. On his father's death, 28 November 1589, he succeeded to the family business. He became an Alderman and Sheriff of London in 1609. When the Plantation of Ulster was commenced in 1612, he was the first Governor, and established the City of Londonderry, On 8 June 1616, the King honoured him with his presence at dinner at his house in Broad Street, and knighted him there. He was Lord Mayor of London in 1619 1620, amassed a great fortune, purchased numerous estates, including Rushton Hall in Northamptonshire, and married Mary, daughter of Richard Morris, sometime Master of the Ironmongers Company. He died 20 October 1626 in the 66th year of his age, and was buried in St Paul's Cathedral, his funeral sermon being preached by John Donne. His widow married, 6 July 1630, Henry Carey, 4th Lord Hunsdon. She died 24 December 1648, and was buried beside her first husband. Their second, but only surviving son and heir, Charles Cokayne, was created Viscount Cullen, of Tipperary 11 August 1642.