College of Arms N/A
The College of Arms, the authoritative body responsible for heraldry in England, Wales and Northern Ireland, is a corporation of three kings of arms, six heralds and four pursuivants, all members of the Royal Household, appointed by the Crown on the nomination of the Earl Marshal of England. The history of the English heralds goes back to the thirteenth century, and the College was first incorporated by Richard III in 1484. It was reincorporated in 1555 by Mary Tudor, who gave them Derby House, which stood where the College of Arms stands today. The present building was erected after the Fire of London. The reformation of 1597, when William Camden was made Clarenceux King of Arms, also brought the formal foundation of the library, which is the private working library of the College and is not open to the public.