Coulthart, John Ross (1807 -1887)
John Ross Coulthart was the son of William Coulthart and Janet M'Naught. After an education at the Grammar School of Buittle, in the Stewartry of Kirkcudbright, he became a clerk in the banking offices of James Lidderdale at Castle Douglas. In 1834, the Yorkshire District Banking Company was formed at Leeds, and Mr Coulthart was appointed to the branch at Halifax, and in 1836 became manager of the Ashton, Staleybridge, Hyde and Glossop Bank at Ashton under Lyme. In 1838 he published a volume of decimal interest tables. He became Treasurer of the Borough of Ashton under Lyme, and was Mayor between November 1855 and November 1857. He was made a Justice of the Peace 24 May 1858, and in 1862 he was called to the bar, having studied the law examinations, though with no intention of practicing, and in 1880 was an unsuccessful parliamentary candidate for Ashton under Lyne. His library was sold by Puttick & Simpson 20 July 1848.