Craufurd, Archibald -1593)
Archibald Craufurd was the second son of John Craufurd of Craufurdland, in Ayrshire, and Janet Montgomery, daughter of the Baron of Giffen. He incorporated at Glasgow University in 1525 where he later became Dean of Faculty. He was Rector of Eaglesham 1572 1588, Almoner to Mary of Lorraine and to Mary Queen of Scots, and Provost of the Collegiate Church of Our Lady and St Anne, Glasgow, where he was buried. He gave a copy of Sebastian Munster's Hebrew Bible and one of Plato's works to Glasgow University Library in 1586, the former of which is still there. The arms of Craufurd of Craufurdland are Gules a fess ermine, as were those of Craufurd of Loudon, of whom they were a cadet, the fleur de lys is taken from the principal charge of his mother's arms, a common practice in Scottish heraldry in the middle of the sixteenth century.