Craddock of Staffordshire. Sir John Cradock alias Newton, of East Harptree in Somerset, was the eldest son of Thomas Cradock and Margery, daughter of Sir Edmund Gorges, of Wraxall. Sir John married Margaret, daughter of Sir Anthony Pointz. They had eight sons and twelve daughters. He founded a school at East Harptree and endowed it with £10 a year for teaching ten poor children to read. The arms are those of Caradoc ap Howell ap Gronow, Lord of Newton in Rouse, the crest of a man kneeling in an ancient crown presenting a sword is intended to represent Caradoc, the Caractacus of the Romans. Burke's General Armory gives the crest to Baron Howden, and a boar's head to the Somerset branch of the family, but both arms and crest are borne by the Yorkshire family, who claim descent from Sir John Cradock of East Harptree in Somerset. John Collinson. The history and antiquities of the county of Somerset. Vol.3. Bath, 1791, 587 90.