Dallaway, James (1763 -1834)
The Reverend James Dallaway was the only son of James Dallaway, banker of Stroud in Gloucestershire. He was educated at Cirencester Grammar School and Trinity College, Oxford, where he took his M.A. in 1784 and M.B. in 1794. He edited the Letters of the late Dr Rundell Bishop of Derry to Mrs Sandys. (Oxford, 1789), Inquiries into the origin & progress of the science of heraldry in England. (Gloucester, 1793), and Ralph Bigland's Historical, monumental and genealogical collections, relative to the County of Gloucester (London, 1791-1792). Around 1796 he became Chaplain and physician to the British Embassy in Constantinople, and on his return in 1797, published Constantinople ancient and modern. Made a Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries 1789, he was appointed Secretary to the Earl Marshall, 1 January 1797, and was presented to the livings of Leatherhead and Slimfold, and to a prebend of Chichester. According to Fairbairn, his crest was a demi lion or with the motto “Notandi sunt tibi mores”. A portion of his library was sold by R. H., T. & C. Evans in London 31 March 1841.