Dalrymple, Hew, Sir, 3rd Baronet (1746 -1800)
Sir Hew Dalrymple, 3rd Baronet of North Berwick, was the second, but only surviving, son of Sir Hew, 2nd Baronet, and his first wife, Margaret, daughter of Peter Sainthill, of Garlic Hill, London. He was an Ensign in the 31st Foot in 1763, a Captain in the 1st Foot 1768, and a Captain in the 92nd Foot 1779. He married, 26 October 1770, Janet, second daughter of William Duff, of Crombie. His appointments include Sheriff Depute of Ayrshire, Member of Parliament for East Lothian 1780 1786, and Auditor of the Excise for Scotland from 1786 until his death. He succeeded his father 24 November 1790, and assumed the additional name and arms of Hamilton on inheriting the Bargany estates from his uncle, John Hamilton, 12 February 1796. He had been some years in the army, and was Member of Parliament for Midlothian 1780 1784. The library of Major General Sir John Dalrymple 5th Baronet was sold by Sotheby & Son 5 April 1830.