D'Anvers, Henry, Earl of Danby (1573 -1644)
Henry Danvers was the second son of Sir John Danvers, knight, of Dauntsey, Wiltshire, and the Hon. Elizabeth Nevill, youngest daughter and coheiress of John Nevill, last Baron Latimer. Entering military service at an early age, he was given command of a company of infantry at the age of eighteen. He was present at the siege of Rouen in 1591, and was knighted for his services in the field. In 1594 having been implicated in a murder, Henry and his brother Charles fled the country, and resided in France where they fought in the French military with distinction. Henri IV negotiated a pardon for the brothers with Elizabeth and in1598 they returned to England. After further military distinction in Ireland, Henry was created 1st Baron Danvers of Dauntsey. In 1607 he was appointed Lord President of Munster, a post he held until 1615. In 1621 he became governor of Guernsey for life. Danvers was created Earl of Danby on 5 February 1626, and on 20 July 1628 was sworn a member of the Privy Council. In 1630 he inherited the estates of his mother, who, after her first husband's death, had married Sir Edmund Carey. He was made a councillor of Wales on 12 May 1633, and was installed a knight of the Garter on 7 November in the same year. In 1622 he granted five acres of land to the University of Oxford for the creation of a botanical garden, designed by Inigo Jones. He never married, and upon his death the barony of Danvers and the earldom of Danby became extinct.