Davidson, William (1780 -1865)

William Davidson of Muirhouse and Hatton was the eldest son of the Reverend Dr Thomas Randall D.D., of the Tolbooth Church, Edinburgh, and his only son by his first wife, Christian, daughter of Sir John Rutherford of Edgerstoun. Dr Randall took the name Davidson when he inherited the property of his uncle, William Davidson, who had been for many years a considerable merchant in Rotterdam, and had bought Muirhouse from Robert Watson in 1776. Thomas's son William who succeeded him in the estates 28 October 1827 was a Captain in the army, and married, in 1812, Jane, daughter of Alexander Horsburgh, of Horsburgh in Peebleshire.

Seat / Residence(s): Muirhouse, Glasgow
Stamp(s) Stamp Information
Davidson, William (1780 - 1865) (Stamp 1) Motto: Viget in cinere virtus
Crest: A phoenix rising from the flames
Heraldic Charges: phoenix