Dick-Lauder, Thomas, Sir, 7th Baronet (1784 -1848)
Sir Thomas Dick Lauder, of Fountainhall in East Lothian, was the eldest son of Sir Andrew Lauder, 6th Baronet, and Elizabeth, daughter of Thomas Broun of Johnstonburn. For a short time he held a commission in the 79th Regiment (the Cameron Highlanders), but gave it up when he married, in 1808, Charles Anne, only daughter and heir of George Cumin of Relugas in Elginshire, and took up residence there. The scenery and antiquities of the district took a hold on his imagination, and he started to write about it. In 1815 he began to contribute papers on scientific subjects to the Annals of Philosophy edited by Professor Thomas Thomson of Glasgow, and in 1818 read a remarkable paper on the parallel roads of Glenroy, in which he proved that they were not man made but due to the actions of a lake. In 1817 he contributed a tale to Blackwood's Magazine, and wrote a statistical account of Morayshire for the Edinburgh Cyclopaedia, in addition to a number of romances and more factual works about the highlands of Scotland. He was also a talented artist and illustrated some of his own works. After his father's death in 1820, he succeeded to the baronetcy and moved to the Grange, near Edinburgh. He was a supporter of the Reform Bill, and became Secretary to the Board of Scottish Manufactures and Secretary of the Royal Institution for the Encouragement of the Arts. Part of his library was sold at auction (with other properties) by Sotheby, Wilkinson & Hodge 25 November 1891. `A selection of books in remarkable bindings', from his library was sold by the same auctioneer 26 June 1896, and a further selection of books in a mixed sale 4 December 1896.