Egerton, Francis Charles Granville, 3rd Earl of Ellesmere (1847 -1914)
Born in London, Francis Egerton was the eldest son of George Egerton, 2nd Earl of Ellesmere, and Lady Mary Louisa, youngest daughter of John Campbell, 1st Earl Cawdor. Styled Viscount Brackley between 1857 and 1862, when aged only fifteen, he succeeded his father as earl. He was educated at Eton College and then at Trinity College, Cambridge, where he obtained his B.A. in 1867. His military career began in 1864, when he was commissioned as a cornet into the Duke of Lancaster's Own Yeomanry, where his father had previously served. He was promoted to captain in 1869 and was transferred as lieutenant-colonel to the 40th Lancashire Rifle Volunteer Corps in 1875. In 1886 he was appointed honorary colonel of the 4th Battalion, The Manchester Regiment. Upon his retirement in 1896 he became the Yeomanry's honorary colonel. He received the Volunteer Decoration (VD), and was appointed a Knight of Grace of the Venerable Order of Saint John in 1908 and was advanced to a Knight of Justice in 1910. He was a Justice of the Peace for the counties of Lancaster as well as Northampton and represented Essex as a Deputy Lieutenant. In 1868, he married Lady Katherine Louisa Phipps, second daughter of George Phipps, 2nd Marquess of Normanby. They had eleven children, six daughters and five sons. He died in 1914 and was succeeded in his titles by his oldest son John. His wife survived him until 1926.