Egerton, John, Bishop of Durham (1721 -1787)
John Egerton was the son of Henry Egerton, Bishop of Hereford, and Elizabeth Ariana Bentinck, daughter of the Earl of Portland. He was educated at Eton and Oriel College, Oxford, where he was admitted a gentleman commoner 20 May 1740. He was ordained deacon and priest by Benjamin Hoadly, Bishop of Winchester on 21 and 22 December 1745, and on the 23rd was collated by his father to the Rectory of Ross, in Herefordshire, and on 3 January to the Prebend of Cublington in Hereford Cathedral. He took the degree of B.C.L. at Oxford on 30 May 1746. He married Anne Sophia Grey, daughter of Henry Grey, Duke of Kent in 1748. On 19 March 1749 he was appointed King's Chaplain, and made Dean of Hereford 24 July 1750. Having been created D.C.L., he was consecrated Bishop of Bangor 4 July 1756, continuing to hold in commendam the Rectory of Ross and the Prebend of Cublington. He was translated to the see of Lichfield and Coventry 12 October 1768, and a few days later was admitted to the Prebend of Wildland, and a residentaryship at St Paul's Cathedral in London. On 8 July 1771, he succeeded Dr Trevor as Bishop of Durham. He was a diligent, conscientious and dignified bishop and a great benefactor to the county by encouraging public works. His first wife died in 1780, and he married, secondly, 31 March 1782, Mary, eldest daughter of Sir William Boughton, 3rd Baronet.