Emmanuel College Cambridge N/A
The stamp is found on many seventeenth century books in Emmanuel College Library. The college was founded by Sir Walter Mildmay on the site of a house of Dominican friars, the first Protestant college in the University. A Royal Charter was granted by Queen Elizabeth on 11 January 1584, and the deed of foundation the following May. Arms were granted in 1588 by Robert Cooke Clarenceux, the lion being taken from the `ancient arms' of Mildmay, Argent three lions rampant azure, allowed by Cooke to the founder on evidence now regarded as suspect.