Fountaine, Andrew, Sir (1676 -1753)
Sir Andrew Fountaine, of Narford Hall in Norfolk, was the eldest son of Andrew Fountaine, Member of Parliament for Narford in Norfolk, and Sarah, daughter of Sir Thomas Chicheley, Master of the Ordnance. Educated at Christ Church, Oxford, where he matriculated 18 April 1693, he took his B.A. 12 February 1697, and his M.A. in 1700. He studied Anglo Saxon under Dr Hickes, in whose Thesaurus he published Numismata Anglo Saxonica et Anglo Danica illustrata (Oxford, 1705). Knighted by William III at Hampton Court 17 September 1699, he travelled much on the Continent, and collected antiquities in Italy. In 1725 he was appointed Vice Chamberlain to Princess Caroline, a post that he continued to hold after she became Queen. He also was tutor to Prince William and was installed, as proxy Knight of the Bath, for him in 1725 and was granted the right to add supporters to his arms. In 1727 he was appointed Warden of the Mint. His library was sold in London by Sotheby's 11 June 1902 (Clements). His magnificent collections of antiquities were dispersed by auction in 1884 by Christie, Manson. He left no issue, but his great nephew, Andrew, whose father Brigg Price, had assumed the surname and arms of Fountaine, succeeded to the family estates.