Fox, Henry, 1st Baron Holland (1705 -1774)
Henry, 1st Baron Holland, was the second and younger son of Sir Stephen Fox, of Farley in Wiltshire, and his second wife Christian, daughter of the Reverend Francis Hope of Haceby and later of Aswarby in Lincolnshire. He lost both his parents early in life, and was educated at Eton, Christ Church, Oxford where he matriculated 20 February 1721, and at Lincoln's Inn. He squandered his patrimony abroad and became a reckless gamester. In March 1735, he entered Parliament at a by- election as Member for Hindon in Wiltshire, a seat he held until 1741. Other appointments include Surveyor General of the Board of Trade 1737, Member for Windsor 1741, Commissioner of the Treasury 1743, Secretary at War and Privy Councillor 1746, a post that he resigned to Pitt in 1756, and Paymaster of the Forces 1757. He married Georgiana Caroline Lennox, daughter of Charles 2nd Duke of Richmond. His wife was created Baroness Holland 6 May 1762, and he himself was created Baron Holland 16 April 1763. In his retirement he amused himself by building a fantastic villa at Kingsgate near Margate. The library of Stephen, 2nd Baron Holland, was sold at auction in London by S. Christie on 11th December 1775.