Grocers' Company N/A
The Worshipful Company of Grocers, more commonly known as the Grocers’ Company, is one of the twelve great Livery Companies of the City of London. The company was founded in 1345 as the Guild of Pepperers, and received its royal charter in 1428. The Guild was responsible for the import of spices, and in the maintainance of standards for the purity of spices, and for the setting of certain weights and measures. Its members included London's pharmacists, who separated into the Worshipful Society of Apothecaries in 1617. The Company subsequently developed into wholesale merchant traders, dealing “in gross”, hence “grossers”. Later in its history the Company developed wide charitable and educational interests.