Gurney, John Henry (1819 -1890)
John Henry Gurney, of Catton Hall and Northrepps Hall, both in Norfolk, was the only son of Joseph John Gurney, tenant of Earlham Hall, Norfolk, and his first wife, Jane, only daughter of John Birkbeck Banker of King's Lynn. A Quaker and partner in Gurney's Bank in Norwich and subsequently a director of Overend, Gurney and Co of London, he married, 15 June 1846, Mary Jary, testamentary heiress of Richard Hansbury Gurney Esq of Thickthorn in Norfolk. Elected Member of Parliament for King's Lynn in September 1854, he held the seat until his retirement in 1865. He inherited Keswick Hall on the death of his kinsman Hudson Gurney in 1864, and was a Justice of the Peace for Norfolk. He was a well known ornithologist.