Heywood, Oliver -1862)
Oliver Heywood and Charles James Heywood were the second and sixth sons of Sir Benjamin Heywood, an eminent Manchester banker, and Sophie Ann, daughter of Thomas Robinson, Esq. of Woodlands. Oliver Heywood was born in Manchester and educated at Eton College. In 1847 he married Eleanor, only daughter of Richard Watson Barton Esq. of Springwood, Lancashire, and of Caldy Hall, Cheshire. Both brothers were prominent members of the Manchester Literary and Philosophical Society, and played a major role in various philanthropic causes, such as the financing of the restoration of Chetham’s Hospital, and Manchester Grammar School, and in the establishment of the Manchester Mechanics’ Institute, and Owens’ College. Oliver became the first honorary freeman of the City of Manchester in 1888. A statue of him was unveiled in Albert Square, Manchester in 1894.