Jenkins, Leoline, Sir (1623 -1685)
Sir Leoline Jenkins was the son of Leoline Jenkins of Llanblethian in Glamorganshire. He was educated at the Grammar School of Cowbridge, and Jesus College, Oxford, where he matriculated 4 June 1641. He left Oxford at the outbreak of the Civil War and served for a time in the Royalist army in Wales. He returned to Oxford in 1660 and became a Fellow of Jesus, and taking his D.C.L. 12 February 1661. He was elected Principal, a post he held until 1673. An Advocate of Doctor's Commons 11 November 1664, he entered Gray's Inn in 1667, and served as a Judge of the High Court of Admiralty 1668 1673, and of the Prerogative Court of Canterbury 1668 1685. He was Member of Parliament for Hythe 1673 1678, and for the University of Oxford 1679 1685. He served on several diplomatic missions, and was Plenipotentiary to Cologne. Knighted 7 January 1669, he was appointed one of Principal Secretaries of State 1680 1684. A great benefactor of his college, to which he left the bulk of his estate, this stamp seems to be of the nineteenth century, cut to be used on books bought with money from this benefaction. The coat attributed to Sir Leoline In John Gibbon's Introductio ad Latinem Blasoniam. London, 1682, is Argent three cocks gules beaked and membred or; though the 1679 edition of John Guillim's A display of heraldry gives his arms as Sable a chevron between three flowers de lis argent.