Jermyn, Henry, 1st Earl of St Albans -1684)
Henry Jermyn was the third, but second surviving, son of Sir Thomas Jermyn K.B., of Rushbroke in Surrey, and his first wife, Catherine, daughter of Sir William Killigrew. Member of Parliament for Bodmin 1625 1626, for Liverpool 1628 1629, for Corfe Castle in the Short Parliament of 1640, and Member for Bury St Edmunds in the Long Parliament, he owed his advancement entirely to the Queen's favour, in whose household he served, as Vice Chamberlain 1639, Master of the Horse 1639, and Colonel of the Queen's Regiment of Horse Guards 1643. He was raised to the peerage as Baron Jermyn of St Edmundsbury in Suffolk 8 September 1643 with a special remainder to his elder brother. He was Ambassador to Paris and the Hague 1644, Chamberlain to the Queen 1645 whom he accompanied to France, served as Ambassador to Paris 1660, 1677 and 1669. He was created Earl of St Albans, at Breda, 27 April 1660 by letters patent. In addition he was Grand Master of the Freemasons, Lord Chamberlain of the Household 1671 1674, and a Knight of the Garter 29 May 1672. He died unmarried 2 January 1684, when the Earldom became extinct and the barony passed under the special remainder to his nephew.