Lumley-Savile, John, 8th Earl of Scarbrough (1788 -1856)
John Lumley Savile was the second, but only surviving son, of John, 7th Earl, and Anna Maria, daughter of Julines Herring Esq. of Heybridge in Essex. He was educated at Trinity Hall, Cambridge, where he was admitted as a Fellow Commoner, receiving his M.A. 1 July 1811. He was elected Member of Parliament for Nottinghamshire 1826 1832, and for North Nottinghamshire 1832 1835. He succeeded his father as 8th Earl of Scarbrough in 1835, and assumed the name and arms of Savile by Royal licence 14 October 1836. He was Lord Lieutenant and Custos Rotulorum of Nottinghamshire. He died unmarried and left Rufford Abbey and his library to his natural son John who was created Baron Savile in 1888. The library and the house were sold in 1938. The title passed to his cousin Richard George Lumley.