Meyrick, Samuel Rush, Sir (1783 -1848)
Sir Samuel Rush Meyrick K.H.., LL.D of Goodrich Court, Hereford, was born 26 August 1783, the only surviving son of John Meyrick of Great George Street, Westminster, and of Peterborough House, Fulham in Middlesex, and Hannah, daughter and coheir of Samuel Rush Esq. of Ford House in Hertfordshire, and of Chislehurst in Kent. He was educated at Queen's College, Oxford, where he matriculated 27 June 1800, B.A. 1804, M.A. and B.C.L., 1810, and D.C.L. 1811. He married, 3 October 1803, Mary, daughter and coheir of James Parry Esq. of LLwyn Hywel in Cardiganshire. For many years he practiced as an Advocate in the ecclesiastical and admiralty courts. In 1832, William IV conferred the Hanoverian Order on him for services connected with the national and royal collections of armour, and made him a Knight Bachelor the following year. A Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries, he wrote or edited several antiquarian and genealogical works and formed a large collection of armour and other antiquities, which was sold about 1871 to M. Spitzer of Paris. He died in April 1848. His son predeceased him and he devised his estate to a cousin. His “Antiquarian and historical library” was sold at auction by Sotheby Wilkinson & Hodge 20 July 1871. The Spitzer collection was dispersed at auction in 1893.