Middle Temple N/A
The Knights Templars founded their Inn by the banks of the Thames in Fleet Street in London and built a large house with a round church which was consecrated in 1185. After the suppression of the order in England, their house was leased in the Reign of Edward III from Damare de Valence, Earl of Pembroke by the Professors of Common Law. The house was divided into three parts known as the Inner Temple, the Middle Temple and the Outer Temple. The Inner and Middle Temples became hostels for legal students, the Outer Temple a palace first for a bishop and later for the Earl of Essex as Essex House.