Millard, James Elwin (1824 -1894)
Canon Millard was the third son of William Salter Millard, of St. George’s Norwich. He was a chorister at Magdalen College 1834-1841, when he matriculated at Magdalen Hall, and was a Demy from 1842-1853. He took his B.A. in 1845, was a Master of Magdalen College School 1846-1864, and a Fellow of Magdalen 1853-1865 and took his B.D. in 1855 and his D.D. in 1859. He was Vicar of Basingstoke in 1864, and an Honorary Canon of Winchester in 1882. He died in 1894. His medieval manuscripts and seventy-one volumes of incunabula, early printed books and the works of fine printers such as Bodoni, were given to the library of Keble College, Oxford by his widow. His autograph letters and manuscripts were sold at auction by Sotheby, Wilkinson and Hodge 25 November 1890, and part of his library in a mixed sale 16 July 1895.