Miller, William Henry (1789 -1848)
William Henry Miller was the only child of William Miller of Craigentinny in Midlothian. In 1830 he entered Parliament as one of the members for Newcastle under Lyme, a seat he held until 1841. He was a large buyer at the Heber and other important sales of the first half of the nineteenth century, and was known as "Inch rule" or "Measure Miller", from his habit of carrying a foot rule to measure the height of the books he bought. He died at Craigentinny House 31 October 1848, and was buried in a mausoleum erected on the estate with sculptural friezes by Alfred Gatley. His library which was housed in Britwell Court in Buckinghamshire was bequeathed to his nieces Sarah and Emma Marsh from whom it passed to Samuel Christy, who changed his name of Christie Miller. Most of the extensive rebinding in the Britwell Library was carried out by Samuel Christie Miller, though items purchased by Miller are decorated with Miller's arms or monogram. Many of these contain notes giving the date and cost of the binding.