Paget, Henry William, 1st Marquess of Anglesey (1768 -1854)
Henry William Paget, 2nd Earl of Uxbridge, was the eldest son of Henry Bayly, afterwards Paget, 9th Baron Paget and 1st Earl of Uxbridge of the second creation, and Jane, eldest daughter of Arthur Champagné, Dean of Clonmacnoise. He was educated at Westminster School and Christ Church, Oxford. He was Member of Parliament for Milbourne Port 1806 1812. He succeeded to the Earldom 1812. A distinguished soldier, he commanded the cavalry of the English and Belgian armies at the battle of Waterloo, where he lost a leg. He was created Marquess of Anglesey, 4 July 1815, and a Knight of the Garter in 1815. He was also made a Grand Cross of the Order of the Bath in 1815, a Grand Cross of the Hanoverian Order in 1816, a Knight of the Order of Maria Theresa of Austria and a Knight of St George of Russia. He was twice Lord Lieutenant of Ireland, from 1828 to 1829 and from 1830 to 1833, twice Master General of the Ordnance, Field Marshal 1846. He married firstly, 5 July 1795, Caroline Elizabeth Villiers, daughter of the 4th Earl of Jersey. When their marriage was dissolved in 1810, he married secondly Charlotte Cadogan, daughter of the 1st Earl of Cadogan. Books from his library were sold in London in 1905 and 1919.