Perkins, Henry (1778 -1855)
Henry Perkins, of Hanworth Park, Middlesex, was the second son of John Perkins and Amelia Moseley, widow of Timothy Paul Bevan. He was a partner in the brewing firm of Barclay, Perkins & Co. of Southwark, which had been founded by his father. He married Jane Latham on 2 April 1803. A Fellow of the Linnaean Society 1825, and of the Geological and Horticultural Societies, in 1823 he started to collect books, and bought largely at the Dent sale. His agents were Messrs John and Arthur Arch of 61 Cornhill, London who acquired many rarities for him. His library passed at his death to his second son Algernon, after whose death the library was sold at auction at Hanworth Park by Gadsden, Ellis & Co 3 6 June 1873, realising a total of £26,000. He possessed two copies of the Gutenberg Bible, one printed on vellum, and the other on paper.