Perne, Andrew -1589)
Andrew Perne was born ca. 1519, the son of John Perne of East Bilney, Norfolk. He was educated at St John's College, Cambridge, graduating BA in 1539, BD in 1547, and DD in 1552. He was elected fellow of St John's in 1540, but moved to Queens' College Cambridge later that year. He was successively bursar and dean of Queens', culminating in a vice-presidency in 1551. He was five times Vice-Chancellor of the University of Cambridge. In an age of religious turmoil, he prospered thanks to his ability to change religious allegiance whenever necessary. In April 1547 he advocated Catholic doctrines, but recanted two months later. His Protestant convictions were strengthened during the reign of Edward VI, when he was appointed a royal chaplain and canon of Windsor. Soon after Mary's accession he reverted to Catholicism, and was made master of Peterhouse in 1553 and dean of Ely in 1557. He preached the sermon in 1556 when the bodies of Martin Bucer and Paul Fagius were disinterred and burnt for heresy under Mary’s orders, and also in 1560 when these proceedings were reversed and the dead heretics were rehabilitated. In the reign of Elizabeth he subscribed to the Thirty-nine Articles, and denounced the Pope. In 1584 Archbishop Whitgift attempted in vain to have him created a bishop. On his death, 26 April 1589, he bequeathed the greater part of his library to Peterhouse, together with the funds to house it in what is now the Perne Library.