Piers, William (1616 -1682)
William Piers was the elder son of William Piers, (1580 1670), successively Bishop of Peterborough, and of Bath and Wells, and his first wife. He was educated at Christ Church, Oxford, where he matriculated 31 January 1634, age eighteen, receiving his B.A. 11 February 1634, M.A. 31 August 1636, and D.D. 16 November 1661. He served as Vicar of Kingsbury Episcopi in Somerset from 1637 until it was sequestered in 1646 by the Westminster Assembly. He was also Prebendal Rector of Cudworth in Wiltshire 1638-1639, Canon of Wells 1639 , Archdeacon of Bath 1638-1643, Archdeacon of Taunton 1643-1682, Vicar of East Brent in Somerset1661-1662, Rector of Christian Malford, Wiltshire 1662, and Canon Residentiary of Wells from 1639 until his death on 4 April 1682.