Robinson, John, Bishop of London (1650 -1723)
John Robinson was the second surviving son of John Robinson of Cleasby, and Elizabeth, daughter of Christopher Potter, of the same parish. His father was poor, and Robinson was apprenticed to a trade, but his master finding him to be full of book learning, sent him to Brasenose College, Oxford, where he matriculated as a Pensioner 24 March 1670, and graduated B.A. in 1673 and M.A. in 1684. Fellow of Oriel College 1675 1688, about 1680, he was appointed Chaplain to the English embassy in Sweden where he remained for over twenty five years as a political agent, and later as Envoy Extraordinary. He returned to England in 1709 and received rapid promotion, being appointed in that year Dean of Windsor, and Registrar of the Order of the Garter. He was created Bishop of Bristol in 1710, Dean of the Chapel Royal and Lord Privy Seal in 1711, and Bishop of London and a Privy Councillor in 1714. He married, firstly, Mary, daughter of William Langton, and secondly, Emma, daughter of Sir Job Charlton, Baronet, and widow of Thomas Cornwallis.