Sharpe, Gregory (1713 -1771)
The Reverend Dr Gregory Sharpe, son of John Sharpe, Solicitor to the Treasury, was educated at Hull Grammar School, Westminster School, and Trinity College, Cambridge, where he was admitted as a Fellow Commoner in 1735 and took his LL.B. in 1738, and his LL.D. in 1747. He took orders and was first Minister of Broadway Chapel, Westminster, and, from 1743 to 1756, Vicar of All Saints, Birling, near Maidstone. From 1756 he was a Prebend of Salisbury, and in 1763 was elected to the Mastership of the Temple. A Fellow of the Royal Society and Director of the Society of Antiquaries, he was Chaplain to Frederick Prince of Wales. His library was sold in London after his death by S. Baker and G. Leigh 8 April 1771 and the following ten days. It included a fine collection of oriental manuscripts.