Shoppee, Charles John (1824 -1897)
Charles John Chapuys, who had adapted the name Shoppee by 1758, when John Shoppee married Frances Munden at St Luke's Church, Chelsea, was descended from a noble French family. An architect and surveyor by profession, he owned a considerable collection of bookplates, and was a member and Vice President of the Ex libris Society. He was a Deputy Governor of the French Protestant Hospital (La Providence). In addition to printed bookplates, he sometimes painted his own on vellum in colours.