Sidley, William, Sir, 1st Baronet, of Aylesford -1618)
William Sidley, or Sedley, of Aylesforde in Kent was the son of John Sidley of Southfleet in the same county, and Anne, daughter of John Culpeper of Aylesford. He was educated at Hart Hall in Oxford, which he entered in 1574, and Balliol College of which he became a member in 1575. He took his B.A. 11 February 1575 and his M.A. 1 July 1577. He married about 1587 Elizabeth, Dowager Baroness Abergavenny, daughter and coheir of Stephen Darrell of Spelmonder in Kent. He became a Barrister of Lincoln's Inn in 1584, was knighted 30 July 1605 at Oxford, and was Treasurer of Lincoln's Inn 1608. He was created a Baronet 29 June 1611. He died 27 February 1618 and left money for the foundation of the Sidleian lecure in Natural Philosophy at Oxford in 1621. The stamp continued in use by the family, but the equivocal status of the baronet's badge, and perhaps also the esquire's helmet, strongly suggest that it was cut for Sir William. Sir Charles Sidley, 6th Baronet, died in 1701, and his books were sold by auction at Tom's Coffee-House in London 23 March 1703.