Sinclair, Henry, Bishop of Ross (1508 -1565)
Henry Sinclair was the second son of Sir Oliver Sinclair of Rosslin, who inherited Rosslin and all other Sinclair possessions south of the Tay from his father, William Sinclair, 3rd Earl of Orkney and 1st of Caithness and founder of Rosslin Chapel. Bred for the church, Henry went to St Andrew's University, where he was incorporated in St Leonard's College in 1521. Through the favour of the King, he was made an Ordinary Lord of Session 13 November, and Rector of Glasgow 16 December 1537. Elected Perpetual Commendator of the Abbey of Kilwinning in 1541, he was elected Dean of Glasgow in 1550, became President of the Court of Session in 1558, and was consecrated Bishop of Ross in 1560. He was employed on embassies to England, France and Flanders in the 1550s. John Leslie described him as of “Gret judgment ingine and learning”.