Stanhope, Edwyn Francis, Sir, 2nd Baronet (1793 -1874)
Sir Edwyn Francis Stanhope, of Stanwell House, Middlesex, and Holme Lacy in Herefordshire, was the only son of Sir Henry Edwyn Stanhope, 1st Baronet of Stanwell, a distinguished naval commander, and Margaret (Peggy), daughter of Francis Malbone Esq. of Newport, Rhode Island, U.S.A. Stanhope served as a midshipman on the Surveillante on the coast of France in 1810, was promoted Lieutenant of the Castor, which cruised the coast of Catalonia in 1813 -1814, and was promoted Commander in 1814. In the same year he succeeded his father in the Baronetcy. He married, 20 January 1820, Mary, daughter of Major Thomas Dowell of Parker's Well in Devon. On 17 January 1826 he assumed by royal licence the additional name and arms of Scudamore. He was a Deputy Lieutenant for Herefordshire, and High Sheriff in 1843. His eldest son, Henry Edwyn Chandos Scudamore Stanhope succeeded to the Earldom of Chesterfield in 1883.