Stationers' Company N/A
The Stationers Company was formed by civic ordinance of the City of London in 1403, uniting the writers of the text of manuscript books, and the limners, who decorated and illuminated them, into a single guild. On 4 May 1557 they were incorporated by Royal Charter, by which time they were largely concerned with the making and distribution of printed books. During their active guild life they achieved a wide measure of control over the printing and publishing of books in the kingdom of England, seconded in this by the concern of government over censorship. The arms were granted to the Company by Sir Gilbert Dethick, Garter on 6 September 1557. The seal shows St John the Evangelist as a supporter accompanied by an eagle with a nimbus holding in its mouth an ink horn and penner. About 1789 the Company started to use St John's eagle as a crest, and about 1834 two angels as supporters, but without authority. The motto of the Company is Verbum Dei manet in aeternum. The situation was regularized by a grant of crest and supporters 30 July 1951.