Taylor, George (1808 -1864)
George Taylor was the elder son of Alexander Taylor, Town Clerk of Tain in Easter Ross, and Isabella Munro of the family of Achany. He was apprenticed to James Macdonell, Writer to the Signet, and became a Writer himself 26 June 1832. He was editor of the Montrose Standard 1838 1844. He married, 3 August 1841, Robina, daughter of Alexander Smart of Cononsyth in Forfarshire. He was Deputy Assistant Registrar of Joint Stock Companies in London in 1847 1857, and Registrar from 1857 1864. The Rev. William Taylor M.A. (1816 1886), who presented the books to New College, Edinburgh, was his younger brother He was educated at King's College, Aberdeen, where he took his M.A., and Divinity Hall, Edinburgh. He was Licensed by the Presbytery of Tain in 1840, and ordained at Glass in Strathbogie in January 1843, but joined the Free Church at the Disruption and was translated the same year to Pulteneytown. In 1856 he resigned because of ill health. In 1863 1864 he conducted the class of Apologetics and New Testament Exegesis in the Free Church College in Glasgow. He afterwards was Editor of Drummond's Stirling Tract Enterprise.