Treherne, George Gilbert Thomas (1837 -1923)
George Gilbert Thomas Treherne was the fifth and youngest son of Rhys Goring Thomas of Llannonn, Carmarthenshire, and Caroline, youngest daughter of William Esdaile. He was educated at Eton, before entering Balliol College, Oxford in 1857, where he obtained his M.A. in 1861. Shortly after leaving Oxford he assumed the old family name of Treherne, and married Elizabeth, daughter of George Gape, of St Michael's, St Alban's in Hertfordshire. As a result of his work as a solicitor involved with large estates in south-west Wales, he developed a keen interest in the history and antiquities of the area, and wrote extensively about them. He became a member of the Cambrian Archaeological Association in 1904, and was one of the founders of Carmarthenshire Antiquarian Society in 1905. According to Clements, books from his library were sold in London in 1923.